Each applicant for the Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling program is required to participate in an orientation and interview. Please see due dates for upcoming semesters below.
Application deadline Interview Date Starting Semester
September 1st 4th Thursday of September Spring
November 1st 3rd Thursday of November Spring
February 1st 4th Thursday of February Summer/Fall
April 1st 4th Thursday of April Summer/Fall
July 1st 2nd Thursday of July Fall
- Applicants must submit the official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores on the verbal, quantitative, and writing sections to the graduate school for admission to the program.
- Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA on the last 60 undergraduate semester hours of work prior to receiving the bachelor's degree, or a 2.8 GPA on all undergraduate work, to be considered for unconditional admission to graduate-studies at UNT Dallas. Applicants who have already completed a master's degree must have at least a 3.4 GPA on the master's or meet the undergraduate GPA standards.
- Applicants must hold at least a bachelor's degree.
- Applicants for the school counseling track must have at least two (2) years creditable teaching experience in K-12 public or private schools in order to be certified as a school counselor by the state of Texas. Students must submit their teacher service record indicating two years of creditable teaching experience and a copy of their Teaching Certificate or a copy of the Letter of Acknowledgement of School Counseling Requirements for the State of Texas if they do not have 2 years of teaching experience.
- Students will be routinely evaluated on the criteria of knowledge, personal and interpersonal skills and counseling skills to determine if progress is adequate, if remedial work is needed or if the student should be withdrawn from the program.
- TEA requires that applicants for a Texas certification must be fingerprinted under TEC Chapter 22, Subchapter through their contracted DPS vendor unless the applicant currently resides outside Texas, and is unable to utilize a Texas location of the vendor. For further information click: TEA Fingerprinting
- Students are required to complete a background check prior to their enrollment in Practicum.
- This degree requires a passing score on the comprehensive examination administered during the student’s internship.